The rooms over the Cathedral Treasury housed the Primatial Archive in the past. Now they serve as a venue for programmes organized by the Treasury, offering an ideal and supportive place for discussions, performances, concerts and programmes for children. The exhibition in the first room displays chapters from the construction of the present Cathedral. The central room offers a wonderful panorama of the Danube and the opportunity for refreshment in our cafe. In the third room visitors can view temporary exhibitions and find out more details about the history of the building of the Cathedral, and also about the liturgy of the Church, liturgical objects and church holidays, with the help of interactive facilities.
The Cathedral Treasury, founded by Archbishop of Esztergom János Simor, is situated on the first floor in the west side of the Cathedral. Its collection includes past and present liturgical objects of the Cathedral as well as works of art acquired through art patronage and collection of the 19th century. Besides being outstanding masterpieces of particular eras, the items of the Esztergom Cathedral Treasury also have a close connection with the great moments of Hungarian and universal history through their owners and history. Unique items of the collection include the so-called Cross of the Coronation Oath, a beautiful late Romanesque cross reliquary in itself, on which our kings swore their oaths during the coronation ceremony; the larger drinking horn of King Sigismund, which, according to latest research, presumably passed into the possession of the King of Hungary and Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire from Sigismund’s older brother, King Wenceslas IV of Bohemia; and the so-called Matthias Calvary, a significant piece of 15th century court art and Parisien goldsmithery.
The historical heritage of the Cathedral dedicated to the worship of the Blessed Virgin Mary and Saint Adalbert dates back over a thousand years. The first cathedral that already stood here around 1010 was erected to preserve the memory of King Stephen’s patron and baptiser, Saint Adalbert, Bishop of Prague, less than a decade following his martyrdom. The ornate portal opening from the west porch was a significant monument for this historical tradition during the 12th century rebuilding of the cathedral dedicated to Saint Adalbert, and also called the Beautiful Church in mediaeval sources. The fragments of the Porta Speciosa are displayed in the Esztergom Castle Museum of the Hungarian National Museum. The scene where King Saint Stephen, in the presence of Saint Adalbert, offers his country to the Virgin Mary sitting on a throne with her child in her lap, depicted in the central part of the portal, in the spandrel, was part of a complex creative programme. The veneration of the Blessed Virgin Mary and Saint Adalbert was manifested at the second consecration of the cathedral 250 years later in 1453, and this veneration is expressed today in the representations of the 19th century cathedral as well. The inscription of the dome floating in the ‘heart’ of the church, above the crossing, commemorates the joyful Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary into Heaven: Assumpta est Maria in Coelum Gaudent Angeli (Mary Has Been Assumed into Heaven, the Angels Are Rejoicing). The High Altarpiece, the work of Michelangelo Grigoletti, depicts the Assumption of Mary into Heaven, and the Blessed Virgin Mary Assumed into Heaven appears, as the patroness of Hungary, on the painting as well, which was finished by the painter’s relative, Napoleone Nani after Grigoletti’s regrettable death (Saint Stephen Offers the Country to the Virgin Mary). The feast of the Assumption is at the same time the day when the patroness of Hungary, the Blessed Virgin Mary (Patrona Hungariae) is commemorated. This feast is celebrated in Esztergom on 15 August, and also the veneration of Saint Stephen’s tradition lives on in the Cathedral in the celebration of Saint Adalbert Day, which takes place on 23 April every year.
The building of the cathedral crypt started in the summer of 1823 and was completed a little over a year later, in November 1824. It has been preceded by considerable levelling works in 1820 - 1821 to make the necessary ground for the Cathedral, started according to Pál Kühnel’s design in a central Greek-cross plan. Kühnel, who worked for the Architectural Office of the Court, was aided by his nephew, János Packh from the autumn of 1821. Packh took over all further tasks of planning and execution after Kühnel’s early death in 1824. The layout of the crypt, the spatial arrangement of the vaults and the reference to Egyptian architecture were all Packh’s ideas. The main focus of the concept was the pontifical burial place that provides a last resting place befitting a high priest. In reference to the Bakócz Chapel, János Packh furnished this central circular space, the rotunda, with red marble facing. The surviving pontifical tombstones of the earlier Saint Adalbert Cathedral were placed in the front hall of this consecrated burial chapel. The Crypt serves not only as pontifical, but also as canonical burial place: members of the Cathedral Chapter also found their last resting place here.
Entrance to the Dome
The passage to the Dome opens at the end of the Panorama Hall. Take a few more steps to reach the lower drum, which can be walked around. Climb further up to the Dome Lookout and walk around to enjoy the scenery around Esztergom from a bird’s eye view.
Leaving the Treasury, climb another 60 steps to get to the Panorama Hall, which houses the exhibition about the history of the Cathedral’s construction and a Museum Shop offering a wide range of articles. Walk past the fanlight offering a wonderful view and find the steps leading up to the Dome.
The third room of the Treasury houses the József Mindszenty Memorial Room, which commemorates the stages of the last Prince Primate’s life by displaying his personal effects.
Entrance to the Treasury
Leave the Shop of Devotional Objects on the ground floor and climb the 60 steps to the Cathedral Treasury, which is not only the largest collection of its kind in Hungary, but its exhibits also represent a unique value internationally. The more than 300 items include gold and silversmitheries and textiles, and the ecclesiastical objects used for the coronation of kings are preserved here as well.
The loft separating the organ from the church space is decorated by the statues of Johann Meixner depicting angels making music, Saint Cecilia and King David. Behind them stands the organ, whose original was built by Mooser between 1854 and 1856. The reconstruction of the instrument, badly damaged in World War II, is still going on in our days. Presently it operates with 77 registers on five manuals. More information about the organ and the musical life of the Basilica is available here:http://www.bazilika-esztergom.hu/en/musical-life
The Treasury can be accessed through the gate on the Danube front facing west during services.
The marmor statues of the High Altar were made by Pietro Bonanni in 1855. All four portrayed saints, Saint Martin, Saint Gellért with Prince Saint Emeric of Hungary, Saint Adalbert and Blessed Maurice, Archbishop of Pécs are Hungarian or have a link with Pannonia. The relief on the front of the altar is a representation of The Last Supper. The reliefs on the sides of the base of the altar depict scenes from the Old Testament.
The painting above the altar is the largest altarpiece in the world painted on a single piece of canvas. The work of Michelangelo Grigoletti, painted in 1854, portrays the Assumption of Mary into Heaven. The painting with its dimensions of 13.5 by 6.6 metres is an enlarged version of Titian’s Assumpta in the Frari Church, Venice.
The ceiling of the Sanctuary is decorated by Ludwig Moralt’s fresco, The Triumph of the Trinity, painted from 1852 to 1855.
Entrance to the Treasury
The ground-floor entrance to the Treasury opens in the room past the Shop of Devotional Objects. Visitors can buy their tickets to the Treasury in the ticket office located here. It takes 60 steps on the red marble spiral stairs to enter the exhibition rooms of the Treasury.
Shop of Devotional Objects
The Saint Adalbert Shop of Devotional Objects can be entered from the interior of the church through the door on the right of the Sanctuary. The room where the shop is now located housed the exhibition of the Cathedral Treasury from 1886 to 1987.
The Altar of Saint Adalbert
The marble altar is the work of Johann Meixner with the statue of Saint Adalbert with two angels holding a crosier and the trident symbolizing martyrdom.
The reliquary of Blessed Zoltán Meszlényi behind the glass panel is the work of Zoltán Egry from 2009, the year of Meszlény’s beatification.
The fresco of Ludwig Moralt above the altar, painted in 1855, represents the baptism of Vajk.
The Martyrs of Kassa
The group of statues on the central altar of the north transept portraying the Martyrs of Kassa, (Menyhért Grodecz, István Pongrácz and Márk Kőrösi) is the work György Kiss from 1913. They all suffered martyrdom in 1619 and were canonized by Pope John Paul II in Kassa (Kosice) in 1995. The relics of Saint Márk Kőrösi are displayed on the front of the altar behind a pane of glass.
In the foreground of the group of statues, on the pillars next to the stairs of the altar stand the statues of Saint Margaret of the Árpád dynasty and Saint Elizabeth of the Árpád dynasty. Both statues are the work of Pietro Bonanni from 1855.
The oil painting above the altar is the work of Michelangelo Grigoletti and Anton Mayer, painted in 1870. Its title is ‘Saint Stephen Offering the Crown to Holy Mary’.
The Altar of Saint Martin
The Altar of Saint Martin was made by György Kiss in 1896, commissioned by Bishop Márton Miskolczy, Provost of Esztergom. Next to the statue of Saint Martin and the goose in the centre of the altar stand the statues of two princesses from the Árpád dynasty, Saint Kinga and Blessed Jolánta. The reliefs of the white marble altar depict scenes from the life of Saint Martin.
The fresco above the altar was painted by Ludwig Moralt in 1855. Its title is Saint Martin Going to the Battle against the Barbarians With a Cross.
The Statue of János Simor
János Simor, Archbishop of Esztergom (1867 - 1891) is the last of the four Archbishops who were in charge of building the Cathedral. The Latin inscription below his coat of arms in the porticus is a well-deserved credit for his role: consummavit - completed.
His marble statue was ordered by the Canons of Esztergom, and made by Alajos Stróbl in 1896. Simor is holding a sketch of the Basilica’s porticus in his hands that was completed during his tenure, with his eyes fixed on the ceiling, the inner decoration of which was also finished during his time. The statue was placed in a Renaissance frame with a semicircular tympanum above it portraying Saint John the Baptist, the eponymous saint of the Archbishop.
The Chapel of Saint Stephen
The side-chapel on the north side of the Cathedral was dedicated to the first martyr, or protomartyr, Saint Stephen. The name was chosen as a reference to the chapel that once stood nearby. Built by Prince Géza and likewise dedicated to Saint Stephen, the one-time chapel was the spot where the baptism and coronation of our first king took place.
The Altar of Saint Stephen the Protomartyr
The altar is the work of István Ferenczy, made of marble of Ruskica (1827 - 1831). The artist portrays the protomartyr in the moment when holy man stoned to death is praying for his enemies on his knees. The relief behind the statue depicts the city of Jerusalem with the figure of Saul on the right and with an angel in the upper part bringing the palm branch symbolizing martyrdom and the wreath of glory for the martyr .
The Memorial of Archbishop Ambrus Károly
The work of Italian sculptor Giuseppe Pisani, commissioned by Primate Sándor Rudnay was completed by 1827. The memorial, made of white marble of Carrara was placed in the crypt until the Chapel of Saint Stephen was finished. It was moved to its present place in 1831. The young Primate coming from the imperial dynasty of Habsburg - Lothringen was the Archbishop of Esztergom for only one year: he fell victim to the plague in 1809 while nursing soldiers wounded in the Battle of Győr. On his tomb, the white marble sarcophagus of the Archbishop stands on a tall pedestal in front of a dark grey background. On the top of the sarcophagus the figure of the high priest is represented in profile leaning on his elbow on his pillows, listening to the angel calling him for resurrection.
The South Bell Tower
The main ticket office, where visitors can get information about entry charges, and a gift shop are located on the ground floor of the South Bell Tower. The toilets for visitors can be found on the first floor.
The Bakócz Chapel is the only architectural monument that remained from the one-time Saint Adalbert Cathedral. Also, it is the only Renaissance monument in Hungary preserved in good condition. Originally, it stood on another site. During the construction of the Basilica in 1822 - 1823, it was taken to 1600 pieces by master builder János Packh, and moved to its present location in order to preserve it for posterity.
Tamás Bakócz, who ordered the building of the chapel, held the office of the Archbishop of Esztergom from 1497 to 1521. A man of humble origins, he worked his way up to the top of church hierarchy, and in 1513, after the death of Pope Julius II he came close to becoming the first Hungarian-born pope. The building of the chapel, that was going to be his burial chapel started in 1506. The red marble used for its construction was quarried in Süttő, near Esztergom. The builder of the chapel was a master of Italian origin, Johannes Fiorentinus. It was completed in 1519, when the white marble altar made by sculptor Andrea Ferrucci from Fiesole was put in its place.
During the Turkish occupation, the statues that originally decorated the chapel were destroyed, and the reliefs mutilated. By destroying the portrayal of human figures the chapel was made suitable for practising the Islamic faith and it was used as a mosque from 1543 to 1683.
The ornamental elements that can be seen today were put in their place in the 18th and 19th centuries:
The Byzantine style devotional picture of the Máriapócs type was placed on the altar between 1696 and 1718. It was found in the ruins of the royal castle. According to written sources it soon gained popularity after several miracles occurred owing to the holy picture. The chapel became of a place of pilgrimage, as testified by the silver votive offerings placed on the wall.
The statues of Saint Stephen and Saint Vitus, which can be seen in the right and the left niche of the altar, were sculpted by Italian sculptor Pietro Della Vedova in 1874. The tabernacle (sacrament house), and the new dome in Renaissance style were made by Antonio Detoma using the plans of József Lippert.
The Statue of Péter Pázmány
The statue carved from white marble of Carrara is the work of Italian sculptor Pietro Della Vedova from 1882 -1884. It portrays the famous orator Péter Pázmány while giving a speech, with his right arm raised and holding a book in his left hand. The statue is girded by a Neo-Renaissance architectural frame with a relief of the Madonna in its semicircular pediment.
The Sacred Heart of Jesus Altar
The central figure of the marble altar sculpted by György Kiss in 1897 is Jesus uncovering his heart as he pulls his dress to the side with his left hand.The other figures of the altar are Saint Anthony of Padua in the posture of prayer and Saint Margaret Alacoque opening her arms in a state of ecstasy. Both saints are wearing monastic attire.
The altarpiece above the marble altar, The Resurrection of Jesus is the work of Ludwig Moralt, painted in 1855. The fresco depicts Jesus exiting through an open door holding the banner of the New Testament in his hand, in front of him a kneeling angel and a frightened Roman soldier.
The Altar Of the Holy Cross
The white marble altar is the work of Pietro Bonanni from 1855. The marble tabernacle standing on it among four decorated columns is the representation of God as an eye, with cherubim. It is flanked by kneeling angels holding candles. The two marble angels on the free-standing columns next to the altar hold censers.
The oil painting above the altar is the work of Michelangelo Grigoletti from 1854. It depicts the Crucifixion of Jesus the Saviour.
The Altar of Saint Joseph
The white marble altar from 1856 represents Saint Joseph and two angels. It is the work of Johann Meixner. Saint Joseph is depicted holding the infant Jesus in his arms, with lilies in his other hand and wearing a garland of flowers on his head. The angel on the left is holding a saw, the symbol of carpentry in his hand. The angel on the right is holding a cross.
The altar picture of Ludwig Moralt (1855 ) portrays the birth of Jesus: the infant Jesus is sitting in his mother’s lap with open arms, receiving the homage of the Three Wise Men.
József Mindszenty (1892 - 1975). Archbishop of Esztergom, the last Prince Primate (1945 - 1973), Cardinal from 1946. Reburied on 4 May 1991.
József Mindszenty was born as József Pehm on 29 March 1892 in Csehimindszent, Vas county. He was ordained in 1915. He changed his name in 1941. From 1944 he was Bishop of Veszprém, from 16 August 1945 Archbishop of Esztergom. He was arrested on 26 December 1948 and sentenced to life imprisonment in a show trial. He was released from prison after eight years, during the 1956 revolution. He took shelter from the invading Soviet troops in the embassy of the United States, and spent the following 15 years there. He was allowed to leave the country in 1971. He settled in Vienna and lived there until his death in 1975. His ashes were brought home on 4 May 1991.
The epitaph on his tombstone reads as follows:
“Humiliated by life -- glorified by death. Presbyter Cardinal of the Holy Roman Church and of the Saint Stephen Church on Mount Coelis. The last Prince Primate of Hungary, Archbishop of Esztergom, the most faithful pastor in the days of persecution, József Mindszenty 1892 - 1975. He firmly stood his ground in the tempest of the war. He was tortured and imprisoned by tyranny and became an exile of his country. He was the obedient son of The Mother Church. He fortified the honour of his dearly loved country to his dying day. He was buried in Mariazell and brought home 16 years after his death. Here he rests in peace.”
His motto is: Pannonia Sacra -- Holy Hungary
On the west side of the Crypt is the Archiepiscopal Chapel. Its inscription says: “Here lie the Archbishops of Esztergom after their death.” The motifs that can be seen at the entrance to the Crypt appear on the capitals of the Chapel’s columns: a butterfly flying towards the sun, the palm of glory with the torch, the symbols of resurrection to come. The marble altar standing between the columns, with a metal cross and two Classicist candle holders on either side, is the work of Viennese sculptor Andreas Schrott.
The Archiepiscopal Chapel is the final resting place of:
Archduke Károly Ambrus Habsburg-Lothringen (1785 - 1809). Archbishop of Esztergom, Prince Primate (1818 - 1809).
Sándor Rudnay (1760 - 1831). Archbishop of Esztergom, Prince Primate (1819 - 1831), Cardinal from 1827, the Archbishop, who started building the Cathedral.
József Kopácsy (1775 - 1847). Archbishop of Esztergom, Prince Primate (1839 - 1847). Member of the Academy of Sciences, the second Archbishop to build the Cathedral.
János Scitovszky (1785 - 1866). Archbishop of Esztergom, Prince Primate (1849 - 1866), Cardinal from 1853. Member of the Academy of Sciences, the third Archbishop to build the Cathedral.
János Simor (1813 - 1891). Archbishop of Esztergom, Prince Primate (1867 - 1891), Cardinal from 1873. Member of the Academy of Sciences, the fourth Archbishop to build the Cathedral.
Kolos Vaszary (1832 - 1915). Archbishop of Esztergom, Prince Primate (1891 - 1912), Cardinal from 1893. Historian, member of the Academy of Sciences. Resigns from archbishopric in 1912. Originally buried in Keszthely. Esztergom has been his final resting place since 1981.
János Csernoch (1852 - 1927). Archbishop of Esztergom, Prince Primate (1912 - 1927), Cardinal from 1914. Member of the Academy of Sciences. His memorial stands in the vault on the right of the Chapel.
Jusztinián Serédi (1884 - 1945). Archbishop of Esztergom, Prince Primate, Cardinal (1927 - 1945). Canonist, professor, member of the Academy of Sciences.
József Mindszenty (1892 - 1975). Archbishop of Esztergom, the last Prince Primate (1945 - 1973), Cardinal from 1946. Reburied on 4 May 1991. (See more under point 7.)
László Lékai (1910 - 1986). Archbishop of Esztergom, Primate, Cardinal (1976 - 1986). His motto on his tombstone reads: The pruned tree comes into leaf.
The vault on the right under the central part of the nave is the resting place of people who passed away in the 19th century.
Here lie buried among others:
János Packh (1796 - 1839), the first master builder of the Basilica, the cousin of architect Pál Kühnel. He directed the monumental construction from the moment the foundation stone was laid in 1822. His work included the completion of the Crypt and the Chapel of Saint Stephen, and the removal of the Bakócz Chapel to its present location. The inscription on his tombstone proclaims: ‘The builder of this burial vault”
József Rudnyánszky (1788 - 1859). Canon of Esztergom, Vicar General, Bishop of Besztercebánya. For his participation in the freedom fight of 1848 - 1849, he was sentenced to six years imprisonment in irons and to the loss of his bishopric by Haynau.
György Palkovits (1763 - 1835). Canon of Esztergom, Archdeacon of Komárom, the translator and publisher of the Holy Bible into Slovak in 1831.
Here stands the white marble monument of János Csernoch too, erected originally in the Chapel of Saint Stephen. The work of György Zala from 1931 depicts the Archbishop resting with hands clasped in prayer, with a bronze angel bending over him.
The three heart urns in the floor of the vault hold the hearts of Archbishops József Kopácsy, János Scitovszky and János Simor.
The section called the New Chapel contains the remains of ecclesiastics who passed away in our days.
Here lie buried among others:
Dr János Fábián (1918 - 2000). Apostolic Protonotary Supra Numerum, Canon Treasurer.
Dr Béla Ispánki (1918 - 1985), reburied in 1995. Papal Chamberlain, Pastor of the Hungarian community in London.
The niche on the left behind the Genius statues is the resting place of ecclesiastics deceased in the 20th century. Here lie buried among others:
Dr Ferenc Komlóssy (1853 - 1915). Provost Prelate of Pozsony, Papal Prelate, Canon of Esztergom.
István Kittenberger (1833 - 1903). Apostolic Recorder, Canon of the Esztergom Cathedral, diocesan auditor.
János Hübner (1836 - 1912). Prelate of Esztergom, Canon and the author of historical studies.
Dr Ferenc Weisz (1910 - 1982). Protonotary Canon, Provost, Parish Priest of the Basilica of Budapest.
Dr János Zádori (Draxler) (1831 - 1887). Honorary Chamberlain of the Pope, Cathedral Canon, theology teacher of the archdiocesan seminary, member of the Academy named after the Assumption.
The aisle on the left behind the Genius statues is the resting place of ecclesiastics deceased in the 19th and 20th centuries. Here lie buried among others:
Dr Pál Palásthy (1825 - 1899). Assistant Bishop, consecrated Bishop of Sarepta, Canon Chancellor of Esztergom, ecclesiastic writer. His gold pectoral cross, adorned with sapphires and brilliants, is exhibited in the Cathedral Treasury.
Dr Zsigmond Szuppán (1824 - 1881). Titular Bishop of Novii, Honorary Chamberlain of His Holiness the Pope, Abbot of Madocsa named after the Holy Spirit.
József Boltizár (1821 - 1906). Consecrated Bishop of Milasza, Vicar General, Member of the Parliament. His chalice, adorned with foliation in red enamel and his gold pectoral cross, decorated with topazes, are exhibited in the Cathedral Treasury.
József Szabó (1805 - 1884). Bishop of Nitopolis, Domestic Prelate of His Holiness the Pope, Abbot of Biers, Assistant Bishop and Vicar General of the Prince Primate, theologist. His gold pectoral cross, adorned with gems, is exhibited in the Cathedral Treasury.
Dr Medárd Kohl (1859 - 1928). Titular Bishop of Samosata, Assistant Bishop of Esztergom, Canon Chancellor. His gilded silver chalice, decorated with filigrees and enamel pictures and a standing cross with filigree work in enamel are displayed in the Cathedral Treasury.
The aisle on the left below the porticus of the Cathedral is the resting place of people deceased in the 20th century.They include:
Dr Gyula Walter (1855 - 1929). Elected Bishop of Ozero, Vicar General, Grand Provost, holder of the Order of the Iron Crown, member of the Saint Stephen’s Academy. His gilded chalice, decorated with silver, red and green enamel, is exhibited in the Cathedral Treasury.
Dr László Babura (1874 - 1930). Canon of Esztergom, member of the Saint Stephen’s Academy. His gilded silver chalice, adorned with enamel pictures, is exhibited in the Cathedral Treasury.
The aisle on the right below the porticus of the Cathedral is the resting place of people deceased in the 20th century. They include:
Lajos Dedek Crescens (1862 -1933). Provost, Canon, Imperial and Royal Court Chaplain, member of the Academy of Sciences, historian. He arranged the section of literary history at the 1896 millennial exhibition.
Dr József Tiefenthaler (1884 - 1951). Apostolic Protonotary, Papal Prelate, Canon, Cathedral Parish Priest.
The aisle on the right behind the Genius statues is the resting place of bishops and canons deceased in the 19th and 20th centuries. They include:
Lázár Kant (1811 - 1881). Canon of Pozsony and Esztergom, elected Bishop of Faro. His gold pectoral cross, adorned with opals, is displayed in the Cathedral Treasury.
Ferenc Maszlaghy (1839 - 1917). Elected Bishop of Almissa, Apostolic Recorder, Papal Prelate, Precentor. His chalice, decorated with filigree work, gems and pearls and his pectoral cross adorned with angel heads are displayed in the Cathedral Treasury.
Ágoston Forgách (1813 - 1888). Count of Ghymes and Gács. Grand Provost, titular elected Bishop of Sebenico, Lord Lieutenant of the chartered royal town of Esztergom. Lord Lieutenant of Esztergom County and honorary knight of the Saint John Order of Jerusalem.
Dr Antal Surjánszky (1815 - 1906). Grand Provost of the Cathedral Chapter, titular Bishop of Vovadra, Apostolic Recorder, Domestic Chaplain of His Holiness, Provost, member of the science and literature department of the Saint Stephen’s Society.
Antal Pór (Bauer) (1834 -1911). Apostolic Recorder, Papal Prelate, Canon of Esztergom, Abbot, Provost, Archdeacon of Hont, historian, member of the Academy of Sciences. Fought as a soldier in the freedom fight of 1848 - 1849. Delegate of Esztergom in the National Assembly 1871 - 1885.
Lipót Gregorovits (1883 - 1857). Apostolic Protonotary, Canon, Archdeacon. His gilded silver chalice, decorated with enamel pictures and coral, is exhibited in the Cathedral Treasury.
The niche on the right under the stairs to the Crypt is the resting place of people deceased in the 20th century. They include:
Dr Lénárt Lollok (1848 - 1923). Apostolic Recorder, Papal Prelate, Canon of Esztergom, Archdeacon of Bars, Provost of Topissa. His gilded silver chalice, adorned with filigree work, gems and pearls, is exhibited in the Cathedral Treasury.
Antal Városi (1905 - 1978). Protonotary, Precentor, poet and literary translator. After the Communist government banned him from publishing his poems and writings in 1955 and also from preaching in 1968, he made a new translation of The Confessions of Saint Augustine, which was published in 1976.
Mihály Bogisich (1839 - 1919). Titular Provost of Herpály, Canon, elected Bishop of Pristina, Parish Priest of the Castle of Buda, music historian, member of the Academy of Sciences. Founder and until his death Chairman of the National Hungarian Cecilia Association. The purpose of the association was the purification and revival of church music practices in Hungary.
The vault on the left under the central part of the nave is the resting place of dead people buried in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Here lie buried among others:
Miklós Feigler (♰1836). Master builder of the primatial manor, who participated in the construction of the Cathedral.
Ignác Gramling (♰1844). Architect and master builder, the builder of the Danube Bridge of Esztergom.
Dr János Mally (♰1902). Apostolic Recorder, Honorary Papal Chamberlain.
Imre Mészáros (♰1865). Canon of Esztergom, the Governor of Pazmaneum, church historian, writer, Member of the Academy of Sciences.
József Pellet (♰1903). Apostolic Recorder, Elected Bishop of Bidua, Honorary Papal Chaplain.
The section called the Room of Wells is the resting place of ecclesiastics deceased in our days. Here lie buried among others:
Károly Boehm (1853 - 1932). American Prelate.
Dr Eörs Mária Csordás (1943 - 2010). Protonotary, Canon, Rector of Pázmáneum Catholic University. Papal Prelate, Chancellor of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem. It was his proposal to place the inscription CAPUT, MATER ET MAGISTRA ECCLESIARUM HUNGARIAE on the tympanum of the Cathedral.
The vault under the Bakócz Chapel is the resting place of the dead transferred here from the old crypt. Here lie buried among others:
Georg Maximilian Schuknecht (♰ 1732), imperial and royal major general, former commander of the Esztergom Castle. It was him who found the Byzantine style devotional picture in the ruins of the castle and placed it on the altar of the Bakócz Chapel. He was widely respected for his piety and uprightness.
Elek Jordánszky (1765 - 1840). Doctor of theology, consecrated Bishop of Tinnin, Canon of Esztergom, the eponym of the Jordánszky codex. The codex contains the second surviving Hungarian Bible translation. It got into the possession of the Cathedral Library from the Jordánszky bequest.
The pontifical tombstones which remained from the Saint Adalbert Church, demolished in 1763, are displayed in the Cathedral Crypt.
János of Aragon. Archbishop and Primate of Esztergom (1480 - 1485), Cardinal (from 1477), was the brother of King Mathias’ wife, Beatrix. Of his coat of arms, held by a pair of sirens, only a fragment has survived.
The memorial stone of György Széchenyi, Archbishop and Primate of Esztergom (1685 - 1695), adorned with his coat of arms.
Other mediaeval tombstones:
Péter Garázda (♰1507). Canon of Esztergom, the cousin of Janus Pannonius. He had his epitaph engraved on his tombstone still in his life.
The tombstone of András Gosztonyi, Provost of Szentistván, Canon of Esztergom (1484 - 1499), with an inscription and the coat of arms of the Gosztonyis.
The tombstone of Ambrus Szántói, Provost of Szentistván, Canon of Esztergom (1453 - 1483) with a Latin inscription in Gothic characters.
The pontifical tombstones which remained from the Saint Adalbert Church, demolished in 1763: the tombstones of Archbishops Ugrin Csák, Dénes Szécsi and János Vitéz, are displayed in the Cathedral Crypt.
The only surviving fragment of Ugrin Csák’s (♰1204) red marble coffin lid.
The figural tombstone of Cardinal and Archbishop Dénes Széchy (1440 - 1465). Made of red marble, it is the work of an unknown Gothic master from the 15th century.
The tombstone of János Vitéz (1408 - 1472), Primate and Archbishop of Esztergom (1465 - 1472). The figural lid and one of the side panels of the great humanist’s sepulchre, built of red marble in Renaissance style and decorated with an inscription in early humanist characters, can be found in the Crypt.